Tuesday, March 08, 2016

Reading Challenge Update #2

It's been a while since I've posted. And I've been having fun reading! I'm kinda going half and half between books I'm reading at school and ones I'm reading on my own.

3. What is the Statue of Liberty? by Joan Holub
I read this "bobble-head" book (as my friend Jen so affectionately calls them) to my class last month. I'm always surprised by how engaged my students are with non-fiction books. I don't know why I underestimate them. I had to explain things as I read this book to them. But they really liked it. After each chapter we talked about and wrote down information we learned. These books are so fun. I'm going to read another one with them sometime this year. Probably one about a president.
4. Sparky byBeverly Gherman
I've been wanting to read this book for a while. When I taught in California my favorite field trip was to take my class to the Schulz museum. It was fun to live in the same town where Charles Schulz lived. I love driving around my home town and seeing random Snoopys and Charlie Browns. So all that to say, when this book was available to borrow as a Ebook I jumped at it. I'm pretty sure it is a children's biography, but I don't care. I still liked it.
5. Meet Addy by Connie Rose Porter
I actually had this book set as a kid. Unfortunately I didn't like reading as a kid. How sad is that?! I missed out on a lot of reading as a kid. Anyway, I just finished reading this book to my class. This book brought on some fantastic discussions with my 1st and 2nd graders! Addy is a slave who is planning on running away to go North with her mother. As we read the book my class and I had several talks about slavery and how people were treated, are treated, and should be treated. They wanted to me to continue in the series they liked this book that much. I really hope I can instill in my students a love for reading that I didn't have at their age.
6. Enna Burning by Shannon Hale
This is the book after The Goose Girl. I really liked this one. It took me a while to read this one because my Ebook had expired and I had to wait for a few people to be done with it first. I finally just checked out the actual book at the library. I think I'll look for the next one in the series in the near future.

I'm excited that I've already finished 6 books on my reading challenge for 2016! And I'm already half way through with my next book! Yay for reading!



No comments: