Thursday, December 01, 2016

Am I being faithful?



Am I being faithful?

Moses and Jeremiah are two examples of men whom God called to do great things and they claimed they weren't good enough. How often do I claim that in regards to myself?

Um, yeah, a lot.

I let fear and thoughts of lack of ability get in the way of sharing the gospel. The author of my devotional book reminded me today how wrong I am.

"It's not a question of who we are and our abilities; it's a question of the Lord's presence. God's abiding presence helps us overcome obstacles to our mission." (The Gospel Project: Chronological; Volume 5) 

What is our mission?

Matthew 28:19-20
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."

So here I am. I know the command God has given to me. I know that His presence is with me. But still I am so afraid of failing. I'm afraid of being laughed at, ignored, rejected, and thought poorly of. Notice something wrong with that sentence? I'll give you a hint: it's the pronoun.

I.

That's the problem. I've made it all about me. It's not me they are rejecting and laughing at. Here I am focusing on myself when it is not all about me. Again my devotional shows me how goofy my fears are about sharing the gospel.

"Success in God's eyes is measured less by results and more by faithfulness. When we are faithful to say what God has called us to say to whom God has called us to say it, then the mission is successful. We have been faithful to the Lord." (The Gospel Project: Chronological; Volume 5) 

So I as myself again...

Am I being faithful?

No comments: