Friday, June 04, 2010

Avid Reader... not too sure

In my life I've kind of had a love/hate relationship with reading. I did not enjoy reading in elementary school until I started reading Christian romance novels. It all started with Lori Wick, an author whom I know personally and still love reading her books. I would devour her books when I started reading them, but if a book was required for school I had the hardest time getting through them. There have been a handful of required reading books that I have enjoyed (A Tale of Two Cities and The Silver Chalice to name a couple). That was in high school and the same thing happened in college until I took a Children's Literature class at TMC. Oh My! I loved that class! That class made me love reading even more than before. Children's literature is so much fun (and easy) to read. I think if I weren't a teacher I would open my own children's book store just like on You've Got Mail.
The problem I have with reading is that I start a book and then don't have time to read and never finish it! Ahh!! It drives me nuts. I have a huge stack of books that I need to finish. At at the rate I am going I won't have time to finish those books until I retire (who knows when that will be). I think I need to challenge myself in reading books. I've gotten into the habit of watching something on my computer before I go to bed. I love doing that because it helps me to relax before I sleep. My new plan is to only do that every other night. On the off nights I want to do more reading. That way my stack of books will start to decrease. Such a good goal. I hope I can keep it up.
So the current book I am reading is Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper. I read it once in college, but it was a required read so you know what that means... I don't remember one bit of it. My Bible study is reading through it right now. So far we are on chapter 6 and I think I've read half of each chapter. Yikes! I am terrible! This week I'm going to do better!

No comments: