Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Grandma's Cooking

First of all I'm pretty sure Julie must have been wearing shoes in this picture and I wasn't, because she is NOT taller than me. I'm pretty sure this picture was from 2002 or 2003. Not sure. I think that was the last time my Grandparents came out for a visit. 
Ok, now that I've gotten that straight. Over the summer my family took a trip to Wisconsin to visit my Grandparents (my mom's parents). As much as I love going to visit my friends I wish I could visit my Grandparents the most often. I love going to see them. On this last trip I decided that I wanted to copy down my Grandma's recipes. Grandma is a great cook. She is known for her cinnamon rolls, which she makes from scratch. So for a good portion of the week that we were there I sat with my dad's laptop and the recipe book which my Grandma has been adding to for years. It took a long time to type all of the recipes out, and I still have more to type. I ended up taking pictures of the pages so I could continue typing out the recipes. My goal is to have all of them typed and then make a cookbook. I've been looking around for ideas of how to make a cookbook that looks nice, but doesn't cost a ton of money. I thought about going the Shutterfly route, but I didn't really like the layouts that much and I knew that I was going to put a lot of recipes in it so it didn't really go along the amount of money I wanted to spend. I thought about just printing it at Kinkos and having them bind it. And I was probably going to do that until my friend Stephanie told me about Lulu. Lulu is an online publishing company, which Steph's husband Jeremy used for some Bible curriculum he wrote. I looked at the website and loved the idea instantly.
So the plan is to...

  1. Finish typing all of Grandma's recipes (I think I am getting close to finishing). 
  2. Try out a good chunk of the recipes and take pictures of them. 
  3. Create a format for the pages of the cookbook.
  4. Collect pictures from my relatives of them and Grandma.
  5. Upload the entire project & publish it. 
Lulu is the kind of thing where I wouldn't have to try to sell huge quantities of the book, but they would make them as they are purchased. And honestly I'm not looking to sell that many, other than to my family members. I know that a lot of the recipes will taste amazing, but really for me it is special because it is the recipes that my Grandma cooks. 
I love my Grandma, and I am sad that I have lived so far away from her and my Grandpa for my entire life. Every visit is a wonderful time. 

1 comment:

Jen Bauer said...

That's a great plan. I'd buy one:)