Monday, May 19, 2008

The Tongue

Last year while I was still living in the dorms I was in a small group. In this group we were going through an Elizabeth George devotional on the book of James. We didn't get to finish it before school got out and I just picked it up this semester to continue going through it.

The last two lessons I've read were on the tongue. This always a hard thing for me. But Elizabeth George quoted something from the Life Application Bible that I thought was very encouraging.
So here you go!


"If no human being can control the tongue, why bother trying? Because even if we do not achieve perfect control of it in this life, we can still learn enough to control to reduce the damage it can do. It is better to fight a fire than to go around setting new ones! Remember that we are not fighting the tongue's fire in our own strength. The Holy Spirit will give us increasing power to monitor and control what we say. As Christians we are not perfect, but we should never stop growing.... God works to change us from the inside out. As the Holy Spirit purifies our hearts, He also gives us self-control so that we will speak words that please God."

No comments: