Monday, March 13, 2017

Fasting from Sleep {Yes, I Said Sleep}

Anyone else get completely thrown off by the time change yesterday?

       Last night was awful! I could not go to sleep! I'm sure it wasn't just the time change because I was up until close to 2am. Yuck! I was just about the grab my computer and turn on Netflix when I finally fell asleep. I try not to, but sometimes having a tv show on helps me relax so I can fall asleep. Thankfully I didn't have to do that. I took a nap after work because I was just so exhausted. Hoping that doesn't mess up my sleep tonight. I'm seriously considering taking a benedryl tonight to make sure I sleep!
       Not the best way to start the week. Thankfully my kiddos were really good and after lunch when I told them how tired I was they were extra good. I really am so blessed to have these kids in my class. They are a very compassionate group.
       The lack of sleep made my time this morning in the Word and prayer a little...wanting. I did it, but I'm not sure that I even remember anything I read and my prayer consisted of asking the Lord for the strength to make it through the day. And He answered my prayer. I made it through. My students learned new things and got their work done and we had a great discussion during our Bible time in the morning devotion and afternoon Bible lesson.

Anyway, that wasn't why I came on here to write tonight.
SQUIRREL!

       Yesterday's message at church was so good.

       Like I said last week my pastor is going through a series on Lent. Lent not as a tradition or a way to change habits, but to prepare our hearts for Easter and celebrating Jesus' Resurrection. Last week He encouraged us to fast from a form of food for the week. I didn't. Instead I fasted from TV. Probably the best decision I've ever made. As I wrote last night, last week my passion for Christ and His Word really blossomed and I'm so excited to grow closer to Him. Even though Lent isn't meant to be for lifestyle changes I feel like it has opened my eyes to a change that I need to make in my life.

       This week our music pastor taught on fasting from sleep. Literally there was an audible gasp in the room when he said that.

       My initial thought was, you've got to be kidding me! I need sleep! I won't be able to function! {clearly God proved me wrong about that since I didn't sleep much last night and I made it through the day with His help} He didn't stop there. He wasn't meaning that we shouldn't sleep, but we need to take a period of our sleep time to spend praying. Fasting from food and sleep are two things Christ did while He was here on earth in order to spend time alone with the Father. My pastor suggested getting up 30 min earlier and staying up 30 min later to spend time in prayer.
       I tend to write my prayers in a journal in the morning when I have my quiet time and that does not take 30 min. 30 minutes is a long time! I think I spent almost 15 minutes praying before I went to bed last night and it was a sweet time of prayer. I prayed over my fears, my family, friends, people who need the Lord, and praised the Lord for what He is doing in my life. By the end of that time I was in tears just so blessed that the God who created the entire universe would listen to me and hear me. I do not deserve that from Him, but He does anyway.

       I'm looking forward to the time in prayer I'll have tonight. I'm so excited with how God is growing me right now!

No comments: