Friday, January 14, 2011

Look out for the Spelling Master!

I did something new today.
I was the Spelling Master for a group of 22 - 6th graders.
That means I was the one to sit in front of the microphone (wish I had a picture), give the word and a sentence to the students and tell them whether they are correct of not.

I can't even describe how nervous I was to begin with! It was bad.
One of the mom's called it hyperventilating.

I prayed a lot and had several people praying for me. My voice was pretty shaky at the beginning, especially when I had to give the instructions, but after a few rounds I really became focused. I tuned out everyone except for the student standing in front of me. 

I was shocked at how difficult some of those words were! Several of them I had never even heard of. Good grief!
As we were getting toward the end of the spelling bee there were several words that I mispronounced and had to correct myself. That was a little embarrassing, but what can I say, they were hard words.

In the end I had a really good time. I loved the response of the girl who won. She and a boy had been going back and forth for a while, and when she finally won she jumped in the air and had this excited look on her face. It was priceless.

I think I would like to do it again, but maybe with a younger group of spellers where the words are a little easier for me to read. :)

No comments: