Sunday, January 10, 2016

Whole 30: Day 1

This is it! Day 1

What's on the menu:
Sweet potato hash with a fried egg
(I'm going to add sausage to it next time)
Broccoli slaw and beef stir fry

I made my own coffee creamer this morning! It is coconut milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. It was pretty good. Not as sweet as the creamer that I'm used to, but I think I could get used to it. I don't want to give up drinking coffee so this is what it will have to be. :)

How I'm feeling:
I'm not really sure if I can say that I feel any different at the moment. It's only day 1. I am happy to say that after my lunch I'm feeling full. That's helpful. I've got to drink more water this afternoon to help me not want to munch as much. But I have a tray of veggies all cut and ready to eat for when I do feel like munching.

Whole30: No Sugar
Those are pretty daunting words. No one wants to cut out sugar.
Chocolate, cookies, candy, vanilla coffee creamer...and the list goes on.
But as I've been reading about the Whole30 I've learned a lot about sugar. Did you know that sugar alters the balance of "good" and "bad" bacteria in your gut? It increases the bad and decreases the good. The result could be gas, fatigue, body aches, headaches, and joint problems.
The chapter on sugar ends with this: "When it comes to less-healthy foods, understand that the less (and less often) you indulge in them, the healthier you'll be. Where you draw that line is totally up to you." (It Starts with Food by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig)

Honestly, I love sugary things, but I'd rather have more of the savory most days. But I'm also weak. If there are brownies in the staff room I don't hesitate to take one...ok maybe two. I'm weak. Will I be able to handle the temptation at work?

1 day down 29 to go!

No comments: